Monday, April 21, 2014

4/21/14 Thorn UV complete, Elsa and Skylanders!

Hey everyone!

Thorn has officially been completely UV'd! And now onto the fun texturing!  Along with this I have a brand new Redesign for the character formally known as Elsa and finally something rather special; my first Skylanders design!

So first up Thorn!


Hes completely UV'd!  And I found I really prefer this number checker rather than the default checker that Maya comes equipped with.  While organic shapes tend to be difficult to UV I find it rather meditative!

Next up the character formally known as Elsa!


So as most of you have seen her before, this is nearly an entire redesign (Elsa is on the left).  There were a couple reasons behind the redesign: 1) Her name kept spawning "Frozen" conversations which was getting rather annoying. 2)  Her character just didn't grow and capture me like the others (Grant, Thorn, Pacifica). 3) she was just an all around awkward character to talk about, she just didn't fit in.

Her new name has yet to given as I am still deciding with my colleague, but in short her character is that of a Pirate captain who's been the victim of a mutiny and left by herself in an unknown land where she happens to run into Grant.  Shes striving to restore her honor and exact revenge on those who stole her ship.  Shes cunning, strong willed and most of all patient.

As for the design on the right, I'm currently looking into designing the Velodine to be a bit more (for lack of a better term) classic vampiry.

And finally for something completely different!

This week I had the opportunity to fall in love with a game I other wise thought was made up of generic fantasy toys... I was far from right.  I for the first time sat down and played Skylanders and it was love at first touch and being a huge collector of toys it just made sense.  I was charmed by the game and I immediately wanted in on this!  The fact that kids all over the world get to enjoy something so inspiring and so creatively shaping, I can't contain myself and I'm both jealous that I didn't have this as a kid and extraordinarily happy for this generation of kids.

So without further ado this is Skull Bash, my first Skylanders design


My colleague who's focusing on writing and game design actually wrote up his ability set already complete with the name of his stead!

Lines:
Summoning Portal Phrase: “Breach the apocalypse!”
Collecting Loot: “More treasure for the underworld.”
Randomly said: “Bonk and bash!”
Randomly said 2: “Ride on, Taxidermy!”
When defeating a hard enemy: “That’s using your head!”

Starting Abilities:
Charge!: Hold A. Charges forth on Taxidermy, hurting enemies that stand in the way.
Swipe Attack!: Pressing B, Skull Bash swings his mace on either side of him.

Upgrades:
Baton Toss: Throws the Mace, then teleports Skull Bash to it.
Tombstone Rumble: Taxidermy stomps his feet, shaking the earth and knocking enemies away.

Spec Upgrades:
Ragehorse: Engulfs Taxidermy in fire, dealing fire damage to those it strikes.
Fury Mace: Your mace deals more damage and swings faster!

Robert's email
haywrites@gmail.com 


I enjoyed this so much that I plan to attempt to do one new character each week.  These could be anything from a sketch to an image like this one above.

Next week is gonna be a blast!  Expect a base textured Thorn and a rough turn around for the Centiaq!


Until Next Time!
-Jordan

No comments:

Post a Comment